Integrated Service Digital Network (ISDN) is a circuit-switched telephone service that allows voice and data services to be delivered over digital lines at the same time. BT has been heavily invested in the alternative service, VoIP, which will replace ISDN completely by 2025. With the phase-out beginning this year in 2020, it’s important for businesses to explore their options.
And by options, we mean considering updating technology to meet your business’ communication needs. Read on to find out why you can’t ignore the ISDN switch off.
1. ISDN lines are not cost-effective – ISDN is an old technology that’s built on an ageing BT infrastructure with no investment. Furthermore, it is also twice the price of SIP trunks.
2. ISDN has several limitations – the biggest limitation is the geographical restriction and the lack of flexibility this brings. As a business grows, ISDN lines can be a hindrance. Limiting your business to a set number of lines can mean restrictions on flexibility and if you want to add or remove lines, you must wait for an engineer appointment. Lead time for appointments can be around 1 – 2 weeks. Another limitation is that in the event of your ISDN circuit becoming unavailable, this would mean no calls would get through. This would be catastrophic for a business.
3. BT will stop investing in ISDN and training engineers because the ISDN network is retiring. This will lead to greater lead times for appointments and fixes, causing multiple problems for businesses in the future.
What can I do?
The good news is that your business has options!
1. SIP – SIP Trunks allow you to keep your current phone system and can migrate your current setup and numbers from ISDN easily. SIP offers cost savings and efficiency benefits. KubeNet offers all businesses a free trial to test it out.
2. Hosted Telephony – for a fixed cost per person per month you receive a flexible and feature-rich solution with a new handset and inclusive calls. Ask about a free demo licence.
3. Not ready to decide? – If you aren’t ready to make your mind up KubeNet can save up to 40% on what you currently pay to BT for the same service. We can manage your services, provide cost savings and help you decide on the best solutions for your business in time for the switch off.